As promised, a long time ago, here’s my blog about my weapon design. But whats a blog about a weapon with out being able to see the weapon. Behold Tetanus
The little unknown secret on this weapon is that I have had it around for a while. The original design was done back in 2010. It came about from me wanting a weapon for a character i had designed, so my good friend Jim made a concept of it while i was driving somewhere and i made one up as well when i got home.
But in my game design class we had the opportunity to make a weapon, what an awesome time to remake an older work from when i started down my artistic path! The process started with a revaluation of the weapon its self from both its designs. The challenge was how to mesh them together to keep together the original designs, yet make it feel new and epic. After a few iteration and tinkering with shape and objects that were were meant to make up the massive sword made of trash the final design i ended up with came out like this:
Happy with how it came out i moved on to modeling the design out in maya, as you could tell from the first pic that was posted. The assignment limitations keep the poly count of the project to around 5000-8000 tris. Because of this limitation i added the rivets through the use of a normal map. baking the rivets onto a lower poly model of the weapon saved about 10,000 polygons. Staying on the normal map idea i added the texturing and scratches threw normal mapping as well. I was able to fight with the game engine unity and imported the weapon into it so i could see how it would look in a game.
But I’m happy with the end design and look of the weapon, now please enjoy a super cheesy pic of the sword stabbed into the ground.