These first two weeks were as wonderful as winning your first fight, and as frightening as getting into the ring for your first fight. Admittedly when i sat down to do the concept art for the first game I have ever worked on “AHHHHHHHHHHH I FORGOT HOW TO ART!” was going threw my head more that pretty much anything else. Not the most manly thing to admit but hey this is a safe place right? … right!? After my slapped myself a few times i started to get to work. And i came up with the first few sketches of our UI for the game “Starving Artist”
the basic idea behind the game was to be a linear puzzle game with interactive sliders on the sides that would help you make matches and as you lined up the “paint balls” they would burst painting the canvas behind the game board. After the game was done you could have the option to share or save your work of art and show how much it was worth, in lieu of point we chose for the game to count up a monetary value for the work of art. The concept art that was submitted for my teams presentation is the following:
Neat right! The design here has a few differences than the first few sketches. Mainly the head UI information across the top and the grid. The UI area was originally going to look like a office desk drawer divider. But when in design it didn’t look appealing at all. So there is now a cool sketch style UI that is meant to echo the idea of artistic thumbnails. I repeated the same idea for the grid. Arrows on the side were meant to help new users know they could shift the sliders. so in action the game would look a little like this:
You can see changes with the splattered ink on the board as well and the power bar being filled. But the most noticeable changes would be the power ups on the upper left and right hand sides. The wood areas on here were meant to feel like artistic pallets and those were the thumb holes. They are separated from each other on the board so it could be clear what one you would be hitting as you only get to chose one or the other from what ever ones are active at the time. In this stage of the design there was one major thing that bothered me, those balls. They look like they should be in the game candy crush, and i really didn’t like the feel of them so after a lot of experimenting, even making some “paint blobs” in the style of Van Gogh, i got these:
The above is a simple comparison the new on top the old on the bottom. Clearly the balls have a flatter and brighter feel, and when shirked down to the 80×80 pixel size that our game requires they look really good. The change in colors and definition were inspired by Windows 8 and Apple iOS7. These OS have icons with a flat feel to give a UI a simple and comfortable feel and that is the idea that these new balls support.
But if there’s one thing i have learned so far there’s still plenty of change that can happen when planning and making a game, like the waist of screen space from those arrows on the sides. But that’s for next time!